High ethical standards can be easily achieved and should be encouraged in order to promote healthy, honest and transparent interactions. People copy other people, therefore, ensure those following you are spreading positive energy of the highest order. Through our ethical lens, good ethics relates to the way we treat people (our staff, clients, suppliers), animals and the planet. In most cases, people and businesses operate professionally, with integrity and within the law. How else can one improve our ethical standing? The answer is to act for those who cannot speak for themselves; the marginalised, the animals and the environment.
Without listing the obvious, below is an easy way to positively boost your ethical rating and better underpin the moral culture of your business. The list is presented in no particular order.
General & business
- Pay your staff and suppliers fairly.
- Rally against discrimination. Create an environment of fairness and equal opportunities for all.
- Support equal pay for women.
- Accept responsibility for preventing, detecting, and reporting all manner of fraud.
- Maintain the confidentiality of information entrusted to you.
- Give something back – start a CSR campaign or department.
- Become a carbon neutral business.
- Run a green audit on your business.
- Aim for transparent dealings at all times.
- Conduct as much research on ethical living as you can and be a positive influence to those around you.
- Align your actions with your values.
- Go digital rather than print – if you must print then print using recycled paper and non-toxic vegetable inks.
- Host your website on web servers powered by renewable energy.
- Reduce your paper usage. Email receipts or only print receipts if customers ask for them. Explore email marketing campaigns.
- Say no to plastic – seek alternatives for office plastic items and plastic packaging.
- Switch/supplement your daily search engine from to Ecosia. For every 45 online searches you make, Ecosia plants a tree, paid for by their advertising.
- Use natural cleaning products in your office.
- Recycle as often as you can.
- Invest in renewable energy or enquire with your utility provider about purchasing renewable energy.
- Save water by implementing a greywater system.
- Save energy by turning off devices and lights when not in use.
- Opt for organic, cruelty-free and ethically sourced products.
- Avoid any food wastage.
- Opt for sustainable or second-hand fashion as opposed to ‘fast fashion.’